Monday, May 9, 2011

The Ex-Girlfriend's Wedding

The best boyfriends make the best ex-boyfriend.  I am not perfect - there is a girl I definitely don't want to meet again, and another that I dislike.  But in general, I get along well with my ex-girlfriends.   In fact I often have lunch with one of them.  She recently got married and I attended a post-wedding party.  It was fun to finally meet her husband and I got along well with them.  In general the party was fun.

But I attended alone.  If you are going to attend an ex's wedding (or even just a post-wedding party), it is a good idea to bring a date.

Without a date, I felt like the loser.  Here my ex was, married to a great guy while I couldn't even get a date to bring to her party.

The thing is, I have dated woman since we broke up, but happen not to be dating anyone right now.  I even have a first date planned for Tuesday. Clearly I am not a failure, just not in the best position right now.

Seeing someone you once cared about doing better than you can really hurt.     Logically, it should be no worse than seeing a random couple off the street being happy, but the heart is not logical.  We compare ourselves mostly to people we know, and ex-girlfriends are some of the people we know best.

I survived the party, and so can you.  At heart, I am glad she found someone she likes.  Best of all, I liked him, which made me glad that she dated me.  She clearly has good taste in men.

No comments:

Post a Comment