Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Deja Weight

Over the past 10 years or so I have noticed an interesting trend.  Many people that see me only one in a while constantly think I've lost weight.  A lot of weight - as in 30 lbs or more.  Now my weight has fluctuated some, but mostly in a 10-15 lb range.  I never go below 170 or over 185.   Usually I am between 175 and 180.    In effect, I have lost the same 5 lbs time and time again.  OK, when I try hard/get sick, I can make it the same 10 lbs.  

Recently I have turned some fat into muscle, which has helped some, but that's only been over the past year, and I was at about 178 or so before that.  Yet people that see me after a couple of months swear I've lost two or more belt sizes.  In truth, I have lost one belt size over the past year, and that's about it.

I have come up with several possible explanations for this phenomena.  These are all things I invented, no scientific evidence exists for them.

  1. Fat Memory Syndrome.  That is, when I stand in front of people they see me for my true weight, but the second I leave their sight they create a false memory of me being fat.  The longer they go without  seeing me, the fatter I get in their memory.
  2. Edge of Fatness.   I am on the cusp of perceived fatness.  That is, slight changes in my weight create massive illusions.   When I am above it, perhaps when I wear particular clothes, I look fat.  When I lose just a little weight, and perhaps wear the right clothing, I look much thinner than I really am.
  3. Hair Illusion.   Sometimes I let my hair get longer than usual, often in the winter.   In the summer I prefer my hair shorter.   This year I have however kept my hair shorter.   Perhaps my hair style creates the impression of a fat body or a thin body. 
Now I do have some particular weaknesses when it comes to weight.   My neck is unusually thick and has been ever since I was young and thin.   Similarly, I am short, which is a double whammy for weight - you need to eat less food (and they don't sell you less food if you are short) and proportionately the same percentage of body fat on a tall person looks better than on a short person.

If I was not concerned about side affects, I would be the guy that tries all the weight loss drugs, even the risky ones.  As it is, I tend to try lots of different physical exercises.  My newest routine seems to be working, so I am sticking with it.  Specifically I use a large number of short small classes.  Each class is about 45 minutes, and generally has 1-4 other participants.  Having the trainer pay close attention to your body is very important.  Among other things it means they can customize the work out for you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment