Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Loud Clubs

Friday I went to a party, partly because it was free.  It was hosted by Meet Market Adventures at a club.  Now in general I love Meet Market Adventure events.  They tend to have nice people, are usually pretty fun, and are focused on single people.  That makes meeting someone a lot easier.  They are a kind of dating website-activity club combination.

But this one I hated.   In fact I left early.  Why?  Because the DJ was a bad craftsman that thought he was a good artist.  I love to dance, and some songs I want to be really loud (When I play Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream, I pump the volume up as loud as possible.)  But there is a time and place for everything.

The music was so loud that you could barely hear yourself think.   I am sure the DJ thought this was a good thing - after all he was an artist and he wanted everyone to hear his wonderful work. 

But no one came to the place for his music.  This was a party from a dating organization. More importantly, if you were just looking for a fling, a regular rave would have been fine.  There are lots of those.  People come to Meet Market Adventures events because they want something more than just a pretty face/tall.   I came to TALK to potential dates, something the DJ made impossible.

Now, music so loud works great for the gorgeous people.  They can't hear ridiculous lines, or what the pretty idiot they are hitting on is saying.   If all you care about is good looks, then you don't care what the potential date is saying.  That is why loud music is so popular at raves and other such parties.   There is nothing wrong with such a party, but they are easy to find.  


But this was not the proper venue.   When you get hired to DJ at the Police Men's Gala Fundraiser, you don't play cop killer rap music.  The DJ, in his attempt to prove how good an artist he was just demonstrated that he was REALLY bad craftsman.  He single handily ruined the party.  Worse, I am sure he had no idea what he had done.

I left quickly, glad that I had only paid to check my coat, and not to get in to that party.

No comments:

Post a Comment