Thursday, March 17, 2011

My best rejection

I am, if nothing else, a master of rejection.  I eat it for breakfast.  I get rejected so many times, I can write a book.  To find Ms. Right, you need to learn to take it.  Some of them still hurt, but most I laugh off.  This particular rejection made me feel better about myself, not worse.

To get rejected this way, I had to earn it.  It was a woman I knew and danced with often.  I knew she had recently broken up with her boyfriend and that she had been going on dates but her last date had 'no chemistry'.

So, after dancing with her for a while, I told her that I really enjoyed dancing with her and I understood if she wanted to keep our relations just a dance relationship, but I would love to go on a date with her.

Now for the rejection.  She was very flattered and made it clear.  Almost flabbergasted.  She has a nice laugh (One of the reasons I wanted to date her is I like the way she laughs when I crack a joke or when she is slight embarrassed), and said "Wow, Thank you.  I am so flattered.  That makes me feel so good."  She threw in a lovely embarrassed titter, then added "I'd rather stay a dancing relationship.  Is it OK if we do one more song?"   I said yes and we did.

So that's the story of my best rejection.  I came away feeling better than when I started.  She made me feel that she truly was complimented by my interest, even if she did not want to date me.

Note how I elicited that response.  No lame line, I made it clear that dating her was not an obsession, just something I thought would be fun, and I took "no" for an answer.   I played it suave and came away happy instead of like a dog that got his heart stomped.

If every woman rejected men the way she did, there would be a lot less unhappy single men in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment